Monday, July 13, 2015

Just Breathe

I empty my chest; I have had all that I can take,
I whisper my goodbye with the last in my lungs.
I stand so still; not even a flinch,
I force myself to remain calm.

All I need is to just stay still; to keep my mouth shut tight,
All I need is for it to be over already.
All I need is to slip away; force my body to sleep,
All I need is to let my soul be released.

There is nothing left; I convince myself,
There is no way to change now.
There is nobody to cry for; I am so alone,
There is no reason to stay.

My chest starts burning; eyes water too,
My lungs are screaming in despair.
My heart tries to pump; its oxygen is low,
My brain begins to shut down.

Suddenly I feel the sunrise; hear the birds on my window,
Suddenly I hear the phone; people at the door.
Suddenly I smell the fresh air; find a dollar on the ground,
Suddenly I realize I have much to be thankful for.

I take a deep breath; my brain rushes to life,
I take a look at this new world I’ve found.
I take a glimpse at my mom; her arms outstretched to me,
I take a step with the new me.

Life is what I make it to be; I must see the good,
Life is what I do with the cards that I’ve been dealt.
Life is what I hold dear; what I used to take for granted,

Life is what I accomplish with one breath at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment