Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Peace Only Starts With You - MSU Personal Statement

TOPIC: Describe a significant event from the past two years which required you to interact with someone outside your own social or cultural group (ethnic, religious, geographic, socio-economic, etc.). How did this impact you? What did you learn and what surprised you? [400 word max.]

College life has is not easy for many people; being a religious Jew makes the task even harder. Can’t eat from the cafeteria. Need permission to miss an exam for Passover. Can’t even study properly on weekends due to the Sabbath. In November 2014 – February 2015, however, I had a most difficult, yet amazing, life changing experience.
            As president of the Jewish Student Organization at OCC, Michigan, I realized that with all the hate going on in the world, we must begin working properly towards cooperation world-wide. Diligently, I began putting together a Multi-Faith Panel event to help spread awareness and love throughout my college grounds.
            Preparations slowly began to gather our esteemed panelists. Deciding upfront that there will be a representative of six major faiths (Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, Atheism, & Hinduism), I knew it would take time to confirm the various speakers.
            Two months passed by, and still things had to be done. Fliers distributed, brochure made, forms filled out. Soon the day had arrived. On February 12, 2015, forty people including the Campus President and Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs, gathered into a study hall to change the world for the better.
            The event was a grand success and I, personally, gained as much from the preparations as I did from the event itself. I realized just how far one must go to make sure not to say or do something that could potentially offend someone from a different background. I understand better now that just because you do not agree with someone else’s way of thinking, it does not necessarily make them wrong; it just means you are both at a body of water and are crossing it via your own unique pathway.
            Throughout the event, I gained a deeper insight as to what each of these many belief systems actually believe; as opposed to what I had previously assumed. I was surprised to learn, for example, that my concept of Atheism was false.
            This event, the planning and the attending, is without a doubt one of the highlights of my life. I felt like this is what college is about: learning to not be shy about something you are passionate about, and to work towards a goal. To appreciate your classmates for who they are, not what they believe in. To try and make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment